History of the building
At the end of the 19th century, parallel with the development of the Aeronautics and the veterinary district in Anderlecht, the plans for a new veterinary school in Brussels are being developed. The buildings in the boulevard Poincaré, since 1836 in use, have long since ceased to exist and are more of a hindrance for the neighborhood. The eye falls on an area of 4 hectares in the current Veeartsenstraat.
In 1910 the works are finished and some twenty majestic buildings in Flemish Renaissance style are erected. Director's house, machine building, laboratories, lecture halls, hospital ... all of them built on a complex of basements and corridors to resist the Brussels marshland. All are a testimony of the architecture of that time.
In 1965 the school became a faculty and part of the University of Liège. But since 1991 the classified buildings have been empty. Until now. With the arrival of The Faculty, we are writing a new page in the renowned history of this site.
In the HASA architecture office, we were very proud to be asked to renovate the main building of the Old Veterinary School. This building is the masterpiece of the total reconversion of the site and probably the most visible part from the small ring boulevard.
Our mission was to transform this building from the end of the 19th century into a contemporary business and conference center, while at the same time strictly adhering to low energy standards. With the whole team, we set out to find the best solutions to insulate the building from the inside; we have developed heating , ventilation, air conditioning, and lighting facilities and we have recurrently calculated the effects of our various interventions on the energy consumption of the building. Consequently, the heating consumption will be less than 60kWh / m².
Thanks to a calculated redefinition of spaces, the building is ready to receive its new allocations.
We have created five independent offices, each with its unique character and multiple possibilities: from individual offices with authentic finishes to landscaping surfaces, all under a glass roof.
In the basement, we have set up multi-functional meeting rooms, adapted to different configurations, some with outdoor lighting, others perfectly suited to video presentations in a calculated half-light. A relaxation area allows you to unwind after a workshop or a presentation but can also be booked for a corporate drink.
On the second floor, the old proclamation hall has been transformed into an Auditorium. With its eight meters high ceiling, we wanted to maintain its original appearance while at the same time providing the most current technologies. The restaurant, with a bar and a separate reception area, is located facing the auditorium, in the former school hall.
Few modifications, however, outside the building. The facades have been cleaned and two sober and transparent emergency stairs have been added, allowing the whole building to meet the current security requirements.
All this allows us to say that the building is ready for the next 100 years.